In a high-stress situation such as evacuation due to a natural disaster, people may have difficulty finding their way along even familiar routes due to darkness, weather, cognitive overload, or landscape alteration. If the evacuation route is unfamiliar, the user will benefit even more from navigation assistance that does not require mental translation from a traditional map image to the real world. Augmented or mixed reality systems have the potential to make both outdoor and indoor wayfinding more reliable with less cognitive load for the user.
During a disaster or other unusual event, internet connectivity, dedicated servers, and cloud services may be limited or unavailable. The GeoPackage format allows full-featured map data to be stored in a single file on a mobile device, where geospatial software can access it without connectivity to any server.
Your challenge submission should provide augmented / mixed reality navigation assistance on a disconnected, mobile device using pre-defined routes and other features stored in feature layers within a GeoPackage file plus media and other information using the (draft) Related Tables Extension.
GeoPackage map file specifications for this challenge:
– Pre-defined routes — feature layer name beginning with route_
– Critical navigation points (CNPs) — feature (point) layer name beginning with cnp_
– Additional landmarks/points of interest (POIs) – feature layer name beginning with poi_
– Suffixes for above layer names will match for related set of routes, CNPs, and POIs
– Related Tables Extension (RTE) media table with images linked to above features
– Proposed RTE “features” relation type linking routes and their CNPs & POIs
Must run on android mobile device (phone or tablet)
Must operate without internet connectivity
May use mobile device camera, GPS, magnetometer/compass, and accelerometer sensors
Software source code must be submitted as a public GitHub repository under the Apache 2.0 license (https://choosealicense.com/licenses/apache-2.0) or explicitly released into the public domain (https://choosealicense.com/licenses/unlicense).
GitHub repository must include clear build instructions in a top-level README or INSTALL file to produce Android APK and/or installation instructions to reach operational state on Android 7.